The very best camera…


It’s just a short article this time after the last, marathon-length monologue addressing my ongoing camera addiction. 

As a pro, a question I get asked a lot - at jobs, at parties, pretty much anywhere in fact - is that age-old cherry “what do I think is the very best camera?” I know my answer always annoys some people (usually those brand-tragic types who can’t see reason), but I’ll tell you anyway, and here’s a big clue – it’s not Canon, but it might be!

The best camera to have is the one you have with you!

It’s really quite simple, and something I learned incredibly early in my photographic journey – if you don’t have a camera, you can’t get the shot and if you don’t get the shot then did it really happen? So, ergo, the best camera to have is the one you have with you, because any camera you have with you can capture that moment, but if you don’t have a camera you can’t.

Obviously, with today’s smartphones there isn’t really much excuse for not having a half-decent camera with you at any time (and part of the reason why there will be a billion crappy images uploaded to the web this week), but at least it is a camera. Of course, I fully understand that the DSLR snobs will raise their noses to this, suggesting that smartphones can’t zoom worth a damn, or that they’re no good in low light (in response to that I would ask if have they seen the new iPhone dark mode?), but the reality is that NO ONE carries a DSLR around all the time, because, if they did, they’d end up with bigger back problems than Quasimodo. That means your DSLR, as fabulous as it is, isn’t going to be there all the time and what happens when it isn’t?

Personally, when I’m not shooting with the big guns, I always carry two cameras whenever I am out and about – my smartphone and a small, compact camera with a decent size sensor and a respectable zoom that can fit in my pocket or my “man-bag” – that way I never miss that fleeting chance shot- unless I’m looking the wrong way that is – then there’s nothing, not even the very best camera that can help.

Next time in Tech2 Tips we take a look at Dave’s favourite camera…

No comments:

Post a Comment